Getting to and from the Mumbai airport can be a hectic experience for travelers who aren’t prepared for Mumbai traffic. With a few tips and preparations, however, travelers can arrive on time for flights and learn how to use local transport after landing at the airport. Mumbai’s airport officially is called Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International (CSI) Airport. It’s the second busiest airport in India and handles both international and domestic flights.
Terminals at Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport
The Mumbai airport has two terminals, with Terminal 1 serving domestic flights and Terminal 2 serving international flights and domestic flights for Vistara and Air India. Terminal 1 is sometimes called Mumbai Domestic Airport, and Terminal 2 is known as Sahar International Airport Mumbai. Passengers who need to transfer between terminals will need to hire a taxi and should allow 30 minutes for the trip.
Mumbai Airport Services & Facilities
Like most international airports, CSI Airport provides many essential services for passengers and families on the go. Guests with lounge benefits can relax in one of several leisure centers located throughout both terminals. Parents have access to childcare rooms as well as baby strollers, and other amenities include prayer rooms, postal services, baggage trolleys, free Wi-Fi, money exchange counters and ATMs. Passengers who need directions or information can approach one of the many customer service counters in the airport.
Transport to and from the airport in Mumbai
Depending on traffic, the trip from CSI Airport to Mumbai city center should take about 30 minutes. Taxis are the easiest and most stress-free mode of transportation for getting around Mumbai, but travelers on a budget should consider taking the train or a bus.
- Taxi – guests have access to prepaid or metered taxis. Rates for prepaid taxis are a little cheaper than metered taxi fares, but both will cost less than 700 INR (9.25 USD).
- Auto rickshaw – Mumbai’s three-wheeled vehicles offer a fun way to zip around the city. Passengers with a lot of luggage won’t want to hire a rickshaw, but tourists should consider a rickshaw ride at least once while in Mumbai.
- Train – Vile Parle Railway Station is less than 2 kilometers from Mumbai Domestic Airport, and passengers at Sahar International Airport Mumbai have access to Airport Road and Ajmera Marol Naka subway stations.
- Bus – riding a local bus into town is an option for travelers wanting to get around town like a local. For a taste of local life without the long ride into town, passengers can take bus No. 312 from the domestic terminal or No. 321 from the international terminal to Vile Parle Railway Station.
Things to Do near Mumbai Airport
Passengers who have a long layover at CSI Airport should consider stepping out for a few hours and enjoying some nearby Mumbai attractions. As the airport is located close to city center, travelers easily can squeeze in a few tourist attractions before boarding their next flights.
- Juhu Beach – in less than 20 minutes, passengers can be ankle deep in soft sands and surrounded by sea breezes and street food!
- Snow World – cool off in this family-friendly indoor park that offers ice skating, sledding and snowboarding just 20 minutes from Mumbai airport.
- ISKCON – Juhu (International Society for Krishna Consciousness®) – this colorful, modern temple dedicated to Hare Krishna includes a marble temple and vegetarian buffet restaurant. Plus, it’s on the way to Juhu Beach, so why not have a look?
- Linking Road – travelers wanting to get a feel for Mumbai’s shopping atmosphere should head to Linking Road, where vendors line the streets with stalls filled with traditional jewelry, handmade goods and unique souvenirs.
Hotels near Mumbai Airport
Travelers with early or late-night flights should consider staying at a hotel near Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport, as the traffic in Mumbai can delay airport runs. Several hotels near Mumbai’s airport offer stress-free stays with walk-in booking options and guaranteed transport to the airport.
Explore Agoda’s Homestays & Vacation Rentals